Thursday, July 23, 2009

Right There... In My BATHROOM!!!

Psalm 63:1-3 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. (2) I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. (3) Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. (NIV)

My husband was just telling me about what a great prayer time he had the other day. He said he didn't ASK God for anything at all - he just thanked him for everything good in his life. I had a similar experience ther other morning, as I was getting ready to go somewhere. I was listening to a CD, made for me by my dear sister-of-faith, Aimee - well, maybe Angie made it and Aimee just passed it along - anywho... It is a wonderful worship CD and as I was getting dressed, I listened. The more it played & the more I listened, I began to worship God... thanking HIM for who HE is and all of the good things in my life... I listened a little longer... worshipped a little more and there HE was.... He met me there.... right there in my bathroom!!!! I love those times where we meet with God, asking for nothing, but just giving HIM the praise, honor and worship HE soooo deserves!! Our pastor has been preaching on "thirsting after God" - the Lord burdened my heart a couple of weeks ago about seeking after HIM (see blog "Seek His Face, ALWAYS"). Then, at the women's camp meeting, the theme was about keeping an appointment with God. I'm seeing a pattern here!! (Or as my daughter would say, "patter-en") God desires our praise. He longs for us to worship HIM, to lift HIS name on high. That is the only thing we can give to God that HE didn't give us first!!!

I have a book by J. Vernon McGee - it is a part of Thru the Bible Commentary Series, this particular one is Psalm Chapters 42-89. It is based from his radio program and is an insightful commentary on the scripture. This is what he says about Psalm 63:1-8:

This is "A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah." This is a special psalm. It is an ointment that is poured out upon all kinds of sores. It is a bandage for bruises. It is a balm to put upon wounds to help them heal. It has been a marvelous psalm for the church. It speaks of the thirst for the Water of Life. Chrysostom said that it was ordained and agreed upon by the primitive fathers that no day should pass without the public singing of this psalm, and in the primitive church this psalm was sung every morning or every time there was a public gathering. They always began the morning service with it. This psalm is the expression of wonderful thoughts. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee int he sanctuary [Ps. 63:1-2]. These two verses were translated by Dr. Gaebelein thus: "O God, thou art my God; early do I seek Thee; my soul thirsteth for Thee, my flesh pineth for Thee, in a dry, thirsty land without water; as I gazed upon Tee in the Sanctuary, to see Thy power and glory" (The Book of Psalms, p. 251). It is faith, and faith alone, that can speak like this. God, the Eternal One, transcends all human thinking. He is the Creator. He is the REdeemer. He is my Father. It was He whom David sought. He knew what it was to be thirsty. He had hidden in caves down by the Dead Sea, and it is some of the driest land I have ever seen. California, Arizona, and New Mexico haven't anything that can touch that dry land around Engedi. It is a place where you can get thirsty! If you are ever over there, make sure that you have water with you. David's soul thirsted for God. Do you feel that way about Him? Do you have a love for Him, or has He become a burden to you? Oh, that we might thirst for Him! Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips [Ps. 63:4-5]. David is sayinbg that he would rather have fellowship with God than have a gourmet dinner. When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice [Ps. 63:6-7]. David thought about God - meditated upon Him - during the night when he couldn't sleep. My friend, meditating upon God's goodness is a lot better than counting sheep! My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me [Ps. 63:8] Oh, that our souls might follow hard after Him! This is a great psalm. Remember, it is the psalm of the morning and was sung at every service of the early church. Maybe we can't sing it in our day - I don't know. (Thru The Bible Commentary Series, Poetry, Psalms Chapters 42-89, By J. Vernon McGee, p. 104-105)

Psalm 63:1-3 has become my husband's favorite scripture. He keeps it taped up in his work truck on an index card so he can recite it every morning... I think that is a great idea!!!

So, what do you think?? Can we still sing it every morning? Even in our day?? I would venture to say that we shouldn't go a day without it!! ESPECIALLY in our day!! So, sing it people... maybe HE will meet you.... right there in your bathroom!!

1 comment:

  1. trying to leave a comment to see if this thing is working again....

    ReplyDelete