Wednesday, February 8, 2012

More Precious Than Rubies

Just this past Sunday, in Sunday School we (the ladies of the class) were offered up a challenge!  The subject of our lesson that day was “Are You Letting Your Light Shine”.  Well, maybe in the world… but what about at home?  What kind of character do we display in front of the ones who mean the most to us?  Our spouse, our children?  What do they see on a daily basis?  Are you letting your light shine in front of them?  Are you a wife/mother of noble character that is talked about in Proverbs 31?  I am pretty sure I am not that person!  The challenge, you ask?  To memorize the chapter of Proverbs 31… whoa!!!  What???  Of course, this won’t happen all at one time, this will have to take place about 3 verses at a time.  After I read the chapter, I realized… now, THAT is what noble character means.  I so much want to possess those character traits!  She was one amazing woman & those were some blessed people… her husband & children, I am referring to. :)  Not to mention all of the others who knew her outside of her home.  Just the first 3 verses alone are enough to inspire one to be a better person! 

I must tell you,  there is 1 woman on this earth, living today, that I would even dare to compare to the Proverbs 31 woman.  Her name… Bonnie Roberts!  Her relation to me… my grandmother.  She is something special!  I can’t even begin to tell you the impact she has made on my life, not to mention the life of the rest of my family.  She is one to be esteemed!  I don’t just say these things because she IS my grandmother… I just so happened to be blessed in that way.  Just ask anyone who knows her, they would say the same… related or not!  When I grow up, I want to be just like her!!!  That sweet Bonnie Roberts. :)

Now… I am wrapping this thing up, but I hope I have given you something to think about.  I have posted the chapter (vs. 10-31) below.  This is in the New Living Translation… I just love the way it talks about her.  It’s not hard to memorize either.  I challenge YOU, now.  Read the chapter, take some index cards & split the chapter into 2 or 3 verses at a time & memorize that sucker!!  I am going to & I am sure that hiding this Word in my heart is sure to change my character.  If you are up for the challenge, let me know.  Post a comment on this blog & we can come together every week to see how it’s going. 

 
A Wife of Noble Character
10 [b]Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
      She is more precious than rubies.
11 Her husband can trust her,
      and she will greatly enrich his life.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
      all the days of her life.

13 She finds wool and flax
      and busily spins it.
14 She is like a merchant’s ship,
      bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
      and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.

16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it;
      with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She is energetic and strong,
      a hard worker.
18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
      her lamp burns late into the night.

19 Her hands are busy spinning thread,
      her fingers twisting fiber.
20 She extends a helping hand to the poor
      and opens her arms to the needy.
21 She has no fear of winter for her household,
      for everyone has warm[c] clothes.

22 She makes her own bedspreads.
      She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
23 Her husband is well known at the city gates,
      where he sits with the other civic leaders.
24 She makes belted linen garments
      and sashes to sell to the merchants.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity,
      and she laughs without fear of the future.
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
      and she gives instructions with kindness.
27 She carefully watches everything in her household
      and suffers nothing from laziness.

28 Her children stand and bless her.
      Her husband praises her:
29 “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
      but you surpass them all!”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
      but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised.
31 Reward her for all she has done.
      Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment