Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Patience and Perseverance

For those who do not know... I teach a Sunday School class at my church! Yes, I am blessed to have the pre-teens... you know, the ones who know it all, have already seen it all, are much more qualified to do EVERYTHING than you are. You know them, you have them, you want to strangle them sometimes, just like I do... don't even try to deny it!! No, really... I do have a great group of kids! A lot of them too... this past Sunday we had almost 20 in that little ole class room. Anyway... on to my story!!

We (my co-teacher and myself) have been "going" to different places around the world over the past few months with our students. We teach from HighPoint and it "takes" you to all sorts of places by "plane". We always have a character that helps drive home whichever point it is we are trying to make. For instance, right now we "are in" Alaska! Mount McKinley to be specific... our object lesson is "Overcoming Disappointment", so the 5 weeks that we will be "in" Alaska will be teaching them how to overcome disappointing times in their life by relying on God! Our character is Miles High, a mountain climber who is headed to the summit of Mt. McKinley. He is involved in a situation with a friend from school who used to always bully him (they are grown now and he wants to get even...) Miles visits us each week and we help him work through his disappointment!! We always have a "life verse", which right now is "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 Then we have "the point"... "When I feel disappointed, I will trust God". These are driven home to the children week after week, so by the time we get to the end of the 5 weeks... they are Johnny on the Spot when you ask them what they are!!

Ok... on to Patience and Perseverance!! These were 2 words that the students had to learn about a couple of weeks ago! I say the students and really mean myself!! Hard times are upon everyone, I believe! Satan is out for individuals, family units, churches, etc, etc!! We must guard ourselves against the attack of the enemy at all times!! So, Sunday night, Bro. Bill preaches from the back of a french fry bag... (if you were there, you know) Isaiah 30:18 "The Lord wants to show his mercy to you. He wants to rise and comfort you. The Lord is a fair God, and everyone who WAITS for His help will be happy" (emphasis mine) UGH!!!!!! But, GOD.... I'M TIRED OF WAITING!!! I'VE BEEN PATIENT LONG ENOUGH!!!! Well, the very next day (Monday), I picked up my Bible and there was a piece of paper sticking out of the top that had been there for several weeks. I decide to take it out and when I opened up the Bible to remove the paper, there it was!! Isaiah 32!! The book Isaiah was very familiar... I had just heard from that book the night before. So, I looked on and there was "the headline" Hard Times are Coming... what?? Are you kidding me right now?? COMING?? I thought they were already HERE!!!!!! Yes... my hard times are here RIGHT NOW!!!! So, on I read. (This was Isaiah 32:9-14) Then there it is again... another "headline" Things Will Get Better... whew!! THANK YOU LORD!!! (Isaiah 32:15-20)

It finally hit me... it's all about patience and perseverance! Holding on and not giving up. WAITING on the Lord to deliver "the good times" in HIS time!! Vs. 18 says "My people will live in peaceful places and in safe homes and in calm places of rest." Wow!! I can't wait for that to come!! Ha!! You hear that... "I CAN'T WAIT for that to come" Lets regroup... I WILL wait for that to come!!

So, here I am, readers... patiently waiting and (as my dd would say) practicing perseverance!!

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I am SO glad you are back! I love you girl! Take care--and keep writing, it is strength to your waiting soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blog-world Angela. Nice to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog today! Keep up the good words! Love Ya!- Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. How difficult it is to wait! We either wait patiently or impatiently. I'm often of the latter group. Yet, I'm learning the value of peservering with patience. Thanks for your thoughts. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting on Him. Oh the things we learn as we trust and wait on Him. God definitely gets our attention when we have to persevere.

    Hope all is well.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate! My daughter is 12, although she is very good. Sometimes I think she has more patience than I do.

    ReplyDelete